Are you on LinkedIn? Many job seekers already regard LinkedIn as their most valuable social media platform, and new features are being added all the time. Staying up to date can help you land your next position.
If you've been using LinkedIn to research opportunities and connect with others, you'll be happy to know that they're now entering the job aggregator market. That means you'll find double the amount of job listings and more individuals to add to your network.
Learn how to use LinkedIn to take your job search to the next level. Get ready to polish up your profile and reach out to more people!
Creating a Knock-Out Profile on LinkedIn
1. Write a compelling summary. Capture interest with a summary that tells an engaging story and describes your unique value. Keep it brief. An ideal length is about 150 to 300 words.
2. Showcase your accomplishments. Use the experience section and links to other websites to demonstrate what you can contribute. Quantify your achievements and present your best work samples.
3. Optimize your photo. Include a professional-looking photograph that conveys your personality. It's okay to wear a hat on Twitter, but here you want potential employers to be able to see your face.
4. Customize your URL. Visit the LinkedIn help section for instructions on customizing your public profile URL. It will help you to show up sooner in search engine results.
5. Pull it all together. These days, it's common to change positions and even careers frequently. Give your profile a once over to ensure that it has a cohesive theme. Check that the details are consistent across different sections.
6. Stay updated. Promptly add significant new developments to your profile. Examine your language to remove terms that are becoming overused and add the latest industry buzzwords.
Communicating with Others on LinkedIn
1. Multiply your connections. Start with your personal contacts, from your current supervisor to your hairdresser. Play around with the people and company searches on LinkedIn to discover more possibilities.
2. Personalize your invitations. Unique invitations promote conversation. When you ask people to connect with you, refer to details like where you met or interests that you share.
3. Collect endorsements. Endorsing someone on LinkedIn is as easy as clicking on one of their skills. Brighten someone's day by giving them a well-deserved endorsement. They'll often give you one back.
4. Seek recommendations. Recommendations have more impact than endorsements. Consider who can give you the most persuasive testimonials.
5. Ask for introductions. Similarly, your contacts can provide referrals and introductions to people you want to get to know. Thank people for considering your requests and be gracious if they decide to decline.
6. Prepare for interviews. LinkedIn is a great resource for finding information on companies and staff members. You may discover that you went to the same high school as the person interviewing you.
7. Continue your education. Take a look at who LinkedIn designates as the influencers in your industry. Read the latest news about relevant products and management trends.
8. Share your expertise. At the same time, LinkedIn provides a forum for expressing your own viewpoints. Post updates on conferences you attend or explain a technical topic you're knowledgeable about.
9. Join groups. Groups are one of the most popular features on the site. Participate in discussions and ask thought-provoking questions.
Knowing your way around the world's largest professional network gives you an edge in today's competitive job market. Build relationships and find career opportunities on LinkedIn.
To learn more about how to leverage LinkedIn to support your job search, schedule a call today to speak with one of our career experts.
(P.S. Tired of spinning your wheels with your career? If you're ready to turn your resume into a hard-hitting marketing tool then try our FREE Resume Critique service today!)
Leave a Reply.
We're an experienced team of top professional resume writers and career coaches who offer a one-of-a-kind service centered on helping you get noticed so that you land more interviews.
free resume audit
Ready to turn your resume into a hard-hitting marketing tool? Try our FREE Resume Audit service today!